Private / Umbrella School Attendance and FAQ's


When is attendance due? Attendance is due at the end of the academic year, by June 1st, 2018. 


What counts?

Every day counts for R School. Depending on your approach to homeschooling, whether you are an unschooler or a school-at-homer or participate in our 2 or 3 day hybrid programs during the ‘typical’ school year, you will be more or less flexible about what "counts" as a day. This decision is completely up to you, so when you are reporting attendance to R School, every day your child engages in educational activities counts.

How many days are required?

You are required by the state of Florida to report at least 180 days of attendance each school year when enrolled in a private school. You do this by submitting the simple attendance report provided above.

What if I don't report attendance?

Your child's enrollment will be terminated. We must keep attendance records to maintain compliance with state law. If you do not want to report attendance, you will need to register your child with your county as home educated or enroll him/her in a different school.

Why do you need my child's birth certificate and medical records? Florida State Law requires ALL private schools in Florida to keep this information on record for enrolled students. We keep the records confidential and will only share them with the Florida Department of Education when requested.

Go to the following link for student health resource information, information on available immunizations and the recommended immunization schedule, and detailed information on meningococcal disease and vaccination.

Notification of Enrollment

You do not have to notify anyone about your decision to enroll your child in a private school unless your child is already enrolled somewhere else.

If your child is currently enrolled in a public school and you want to change to a private school, you MUST formally withdraw him from the public school. The front office of the public school will probably have a form for you to fill out. It is extremely important that you do this. If you simply stop showing up at the public school, you start the ball rolling on truancy issues.

When the public school wants to know where you are enrolling your child, the answer is, "He is being enrolled in a private school." The name of the private school is R School. Don't say you are homeschooling. That just confuses things.

Similarly, ff your child is currently enrolled in another private school, you should formally notify them of the transfer.

If the previous school wants a records request/enrollment confirmation or you want your child’s records from their previous school, I’m happy to send the request. Just include the previous school's name and fax or mailing address  with the rest of your enrollment paperwork and I will send the letter. When/if I receive records, I will forward them to you.

If you have sent a Letter of Intent to the county, establishing your Home Education Program, and want to change to the private school option, you MUST send a Letter of Termination to the county. For Polk County Public Schools, here is the link to their Home Education Program Information:

*Yes, you’re still homeschooling. You’re just doing it using the private school option instead of the HEP option.

Do I have to keep a log and portfolio? Is testing or an evaluation required?

No and no. As part of our umbrella program, we will administer a yearly academic assessment upon request.

What about transferring from a private school to public school?

If you decide to transfer your child from any private school or from your Home Education Program into public school, the public school must admit your child. Each county has a Student Progression Plan that outlines this procedure, along with many of the details about how that county’s schools operate. The School Board in your county should be able to provide you with a copy and your local public school principal and/or guidance counselors should address any placement concerns you have.

What information does R School report to the State DOE about my child?

Like every other private school in Florida, R School is required to submit an annual report called the Annual Database Survey. This is done online with a follow-up notarized copy mailed to the State DOE. For this survey, every private school is asked to confirm basic information about the school (address, owner’s name, whether the school is a boarding school or not, etc.) and information about the students. The information about the students is a headcount -- a count of students broken out by grade range -- that’s all. No personal information about you or your child is provided to the State DOE -- no names, no Social Security Numbers, no attendance counts -- nothing but the number of students enrolled, broken out by grade range.

What if I move out of state or want to change schools or homeschooling options?

You should notify R School ( that you are withdrawing your child. This notification should be made in a timely manner.